Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Bills of Lading     Waybills      Bill of Lading Terms
Bills of Lading

Questions (Click for Answer):


Question: What is a Bill of Lading (B/L)?

Answer: A B/L is a document that establishes the terms of a contract between a shipper and a carrier under which freight is to be moved between specified points for a specified charge. It serves as a document of title, a contract of carriage, and a receipt for goods. This document is usually required in order for the buyer to take possession of the shipment. Bills of Lading may be negotiable or non-negotiable . Bills that are consigned "to order" of a named party may be transferred by endorsement and delivery in the same manner as a check.

Question: How do I fill out a Master Bill of Lading?

Answer: The Master B/L document, available from any forwarder, has step by step instructions on how to fill out a master Bill of Lading.

Question: What is an endorsement in blank?

Answer: A common means of endorsing bills of lading drawn to the order of the shipper, an endorsement in blank is an endorsement to the bearer of the bills. It contains only the name of the endorser and specifies no particular party.

Question: Can I have more than 3 original Bills of Lading?

Answer: ;Although 3 is the accepted industry standard, "K" Line can issue as many originals as you require as long as the face of the ladings bears the number of originals issued. (i.e. if you require 6 originals, then the originals must state that 6 were issued).

Question: I have lost my original Bills of Lading. Can I obtain a new set?

Answer: A new set of originals may be obtained by furnishing a letter of indemnity stating that "K" Line is not to be held responsible if the first set is found and surrendered. The letter of indemnity must be signed by the shipper (or his legal representative) and counter-signed by any reputable bank doing business in the U.S. or Canada.

Question: What statements can be used on a Bill of Lading?

Answer: The following statements can apply to a Bill of Lading:

Question: I need a telex release for a Bill of Lading. What must I do to obtain it?


  1. Contact "K" Line America, Inc's Customer Service Center at 1-800-609-3221 or send an email by selecting here .
  2. Telex release requests can be made on the bill of lading instructions furnished by the shipper or forwarder.
  3. "K" Line will hold the original bills of lading and will treat them as "surrendered" once approval has been given for release.
  4. There is a $50.00 original bill of lading surrender fee (SRR) for all telex releases.
  5. If original bills of lading have been issued and it is determined that a telex release is required then the full set of un-endorsed original bills to be returned to "K" Line America Inc.

Once your signed originals have been received by "K" Line America, Inc., we will promptly notify our office or agent overseas of the surrender.

Question: When should I send my master Bill of Lading?

Answer: Please refer to your booking confirmation issued by "K" Line America's Export Customer Service Dept. For countries with advance manifesting requirements documentation cut offs are typically 48 hours prior to CY cut off at the port of loading. AES / ITN information and bill of lading instructions for countries that do not have advance manifest requirements are 24 hours prior to the port CY cut off.

Question: Where do I send my bill of lading instructions for cargo loading in North America?

Answer: You may send your instructions via email to MS Word, MS Excel or a readable PDF document is preferred. If you prefer to fax your instructions our fax number is 1-800-670-2330. "K" Line America Inc. can accept direct or third party EDI via GT Nexus, CargoSmart or Inttra.