Australian Fumigation Requirements Brown Marmorated Stink Bug Season 2015/16
August 5, 2015
The Australian Government, Department of Agriculture (ADA) has issued industry notice 57/2015 on 29 July 2015
which outlines the fumigation requirements for Break Bulk cargo for the 2015-2016 season. The new notice can be
found on the below link.
Additional information can be found at the below link.
"K" Line America is committed to assisting our customers with this regulation as much as possible.
Below are some points that need to be carefully considered for all Australian cargo which you plan to book with
- Fumigation must take place within 96 hours of the vessels departure for all vessels which are schedule to
depart 1 September thru 1 December 2015. Arrangements for fumigation are for the account of the shipper.
- Fumigation certificates must be sent to "K" Line’s Customer Service department via email at
firstname.lastname@example.org. They may also be faxed to 800.333.9275.
- Vessel delays due to port labor issues, berth congestion or weather which cause a fumigation certificate to
become invalid will not be the responsibility of "K" Line. If time permits the cargo may be re-fumigated
and "K" Line will make every effort to load your cargo. If cargo rolls due to non-compliant fumigation
certificates "K" Line will not be responsible for storage costs or roll fees.
- Because fumigation is required to take place within 96 hours, "K" Line’s standard vessel cut process
will be altered for cargo to Australia. All shippers are strongly encouraged to stay in close communication with
"K" Line’s Customer Service department for coordination of cargo delivery and receipt of fumigation
certificates. Some of "K" Line’s standard automated notifications you may receive regarding your cargo
may not apply. If you have questions please make sure to contact Customer Service at 866.233.6875 opt. 1.
- The correct date the vessel sails will be critical to ensure fumigation is done within the 72 hours. Although
"K" Line’s printed vessel schedule and the schedule available through kline.com are resources it is
not recommended that they be used to determine the most update to date information. All shippers are strongly
encouraged to stay in close communication with "K" Line’s Customer Service department to learn the most
up to date vessel schedule.
- Used title cargo requires that the title and vehicle be delivered to the port a minimum of 72 hours prior to the
vessels departure. This is in direct conflict with the Australian fumigation regulation. It will be extremely
difficult to coordinate fumigation and cargo delivery to meet both regulations. Please contact Customer Service
to discuss what arrangements you are making to meet both requirements.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact the Car Carrier Customer Service Department at 1-866-233-6875